Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 11, 2001

As we approach the 10th anniversary of that awful day, our school is busy planning a prayer service.  Part of the prayer service includes making and distributing cards to the local police and fire department.

To prepare my students for the service I talked with them today and asked what happened on that day.  It's crazy to think that these students sitting before me were not even alive then.

I got many different responses from there was a fire, to the answer I was searching for: the Twin Towers in New York City were hit by a plane.  Even though I prepared myself for this lesson, I could not help but get the shivers at that answer.  An airplane.  The Twin Towers.  It was like it just happened yesterday.  So sad and so tragic.

Many teachers search for things to do with their classes on that day.  This year it's on a Sunday, so I don't feel the need to do too much, and often this topic scares the children.  So we talked for a few minutes about what happened, why it happened, and why we are so blessed to have many brave men and women who are willing to risk THEIR lives to save ours. 

The one thing we are doing is filling in stars with why they are proud to be an American.  These stars will be hung on our hallway bulletin board.

Some books to help you explain it on their level:

America Under Attack

The Little Chapel that Stood

September 11

No comments:

Post a Comment