Thursday, August 25, 2011

What to do on the first day

Most teachers do some ice breakers and games to learn their students' names. My school is on the small side and there is only one of each grade.  I already knew all of my students names coming in (including my 3 new kids).

Our first day was yesterday, and unlike some schools, our first day is a FULL day.  Yeah, a full day.

Here are some of the things we did:

1. Organized our supplies and labeled our folders by subject
2. Passed out books and wrote our names in them
3. Made name tags for our desks
4. Played two truths and a lie
5. Worked on packet with a word jumble, word search, hidden picture puzzle, and getting to know you bingo
6. Went to music (my only break for the day)
7. Took a tour of the school (for the 3 new kids)
8. Went to church to practice how we enter, kneel, and leave
9. Ate popsicles
10. Went over classroom rules and learned about the clip-up chart.
11. Did a simple science experiment to learn about the scientific method
12. Colored cups of ice cream for our hallway bulletin board

Hmmm.. I think that was about it.  It was a fun day and not too serious.  I didn't want to scare anyone with the huge transition just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment