Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you!

Part of my classroom management is to know the student.  Because I know my students, I can tell if they are having an off day and figure out what is going on.  This helps in many ways.  I know if they did poorly on a test or seem distracted or upset it might be because of something going on at home or in school.  I can talk to them right away (in private) to see what is going on and if I can help.  They talk to me because they trust me (and they know me as a person-not just a teacher).  Their problems don’t go unnoticed all school year and their grades don’t suffer because of it. 
One way I learn a bit about my students is by passing out this survey at the start of the school year.  I only send one home, but wanted to post both so you can decide for yourself which one you like better.
Introducing… Your Child
I’d like to know more about your child, through your eyes.  The more I know, the better I can tailor an educational and motivational program to fit his or her particular needs.
Please answer the questions and complete the information below.  Remember, this is from your point of view.  I will discuss the same information with your child.
Child’s name________________________
·         List five words that best describe your child’s character (competitive, cheerful, perfectionist)

·         What motivates your child?                                                     What upsets your child?

·         What are your child’s out-of-school interest and activities?


·         What activities do you share?  What problems/successes do you have working/playing together?

·         How would you rate your child’s study habits?

1           2       3       4       5       6       7       8       9      10
   (awful)                                                     (super)


·         What study skills does your child need to develop (neatness, timeliness, organization, etc.)

·         Which academic subject is your child’s best? Worst?


·         What particular academic areas would you like to see stressed?

·         What social skills would you like to see developed?


·         Are there any personal or physical problems I should know (or conference privately) about?

·         Other comments or concerns?




Parents,
      The following is a survey about your child.  Please fill this out and return it to me as soon as possible.  This survey is my first look into your child’s social and academic habits, so please do not hold anything back.  If you need to attach another piece of paper, you may.  These surveys are for my own use and are not seen by anyone else.  Thank you so much for taking the time to fill this out!

  1. What is your child’s name?  What does s/he prefer to be called?

  1. What are your child’s strengths?  Weaknesses?

  1. What does your child like (sports, animals, TV, video games, reading, etc)?  Dislike?

  1. Describe your child’s study habits.  Does s/he enjoy studying?  Do you need to force him/her to study?

  1. What is your child’s favorite subject?  Least favorite?

  1. How does your child interact with other children?  With adults?

  1. In which areas would you like to see academic growth?

  1. Does your child have any allergies?

  1. Do you have any concerns or questions for me?

  1. Anything else I need to know about your child? 

No comments:

Post a Comment